Check out past winners and more information about the competition here at Georgetown University's Plaza Publica!
TWELFTH ANNUAL GABRIELA MISTRAL YOUTH POETRY COMPETITION GUIDELINES
1. Contestants must attend school or reside in Washington, DC, Maryland, or Virginia.
2. Contestants must be between the ages of 11 and 19 as of April 20th, 2021.
3. Original poems (the poem you write) may be in English, Spanish, Portuguese, any indigenous language of the Americas, or any combination of these languages.
4. For the Langston Hughes Translation Prize, please submit:
1) your translation of one poem, which can be from any language into the English language;
2) the original poem in the original language;
3) the name of the poem;
4) the author of the poem.
5. Contestants may submit only one entry.
6. Contestants may receive assistance from adults as long as no specific wording is provided. We want to read the words of young people.
7. Poems or translations of poems must be between 50 and 1,000 words.
8. Contestants should write about what they want to write about.
9. First, second, and third place poets and translators in each age group will receive monetary awards. Judges will be at liberty to recommend Honorable Mention awards.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Submissions must be made by April 24, 2021 to Brian J. Shaw to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please call 202-204-7765 if it is difficult for you to send your poem via email.
For ALL submissions to be processed, the following information must be included:
- Original Poem/s or translations of 50-1000 words.
- If you are submitting a translation of a poem, please submit the original poem in the original language WITH YOUR TRANSLATION.
- Name as enrolled in school
- Birth date
- School and Grade
- Email address (required) and phone number (required)
Contest Judges will be given no information other than your age when receiving your submissions.
*Please Note: By making a submission, we trust that a poet is sending her or his own original work. The participant gives IN Series full permission to print the submission in Plaza Pública.